2023/11/15 09:31(Updated at 11/15 10:04)
(Central News Agency reporters Zeng Zhiyi and Zhang Xinyu, San Francisco, 14th) The APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting kicked off on the 15th. Taiwan leader representative Zhang Zhongmou and his wife Zhang Shufen flew to San Francisco this afternoon. Representative to the United States Xiao Meiqin went to pick them up. When Zhang Zhongmou and his wife arrived at the hotel, they were waited for on site. About 50 overseas Chinese shouted “Come on, Taiwan!” and greeted him warmly.
- The full name is Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, referred to as Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC).
- Established in 1989 as an economic cooperation forum platform, it currently has 21 economic members.
- Economic leaders meet annually to discuss strategic recommendations provided by the Ministerial Conference and the Business Advisory Council, followed by formal policy announcements in a joint declaration.
- Unlike other intergovernmental organizations established by treaties, APEC operates through voluntary and non-binding commitments by members. It is characterized by openness, flexibility, and non-mandatory, allowing members to achieve negotiated goals at different speeds and step by step.
- Since 1994, the host country has almost always provided domestic national costumes or commemorative clothing for the heads of state attending the conference to wear, and group photos have also become the focus of media in various countries.
) The host is the United States, and the annual summit was held in San Francisco. President Tsai Ing-wen appointed TSMC founder Zhang Zhongmou to serve as the leader representative of the Economic Leaders Meeting (AELM). This is the sixth time that Zhang Zhongmou has represented President Tsai and the seventh time he has represented Taiwan.
The APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting will be held tomorrow. Zhang Zhongmou and Zhang Shufen arrived on a flight at about 3 pm. Xiao Meiqin went to pick them up. Zhang Zhongmou and his wife then went to their hotel.
About 50 overseas Chinese were waiting outside the hotel. When Zhang Zhongmou and his wife arrived, the overseas Chinese shouted “Come on Taiwan!” When asked by the media whether he would arrange a meeting with US President Biden, Zhang Zhongmou did not say a word, while Zhang Shufen helpfully responded, “I just got off the plane.” After returning to the hotel to rest for a while, Zhang Zhongmou and his wife will attend Xiao Meiqin’s welcome dinner.
Liu Lingxia, former president of the Northern California Association of Taiwanese Women’s Association and an overseas Chinese, said that Chang’s participation in APEC on behalf of Taiwan has promoted Taiwan’s internationalization and allowed the international community to better understand Taiwan. “This is a big plus.”
When Zhang Zhongmou took the flight to the United States at Taoyuan Airport, he said that APEC is a very important dialogue platform. President Tsai told him to convey four messages. First, Taiwan is committed to peace and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region; second, Taiwan works with its partners. We must work hard to control climate through energy transition; third, Taiwan must work with partners to build a more resilient and flexible supply chain; fourth, Taiwan must also work with partners to reduce the digital gap in the region. (Editor: Guo Wuhuang) 1121115
Central News Agency “First-hand News” app
The text, pictures and videos on this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast or publicly transmitted and used without authorization.